Friday, June 29, 2007

2.0 experience summary

As I come to the end of my 2.0 learning experience I am trying to come up with an accurate summary of what I have learned in this process.
I think it was important that all the staff participate in the exercises because everyone needs the same level of education. It isn't just public services staff who will be using new tools. If we are to stay current, expand our patron base and not be left behind in technology access library employees have to learn and use the latest and greatest resources.
I enjoyed learning how to find and manipulate different images the most just because it was all so new to me. I will probably use my blog in a different way now that the assignments are over. There are friends and family who I will touch base with and see if they want to see what I have done and comment on it. Up to now I have approached it as mainly a place for assignments.
It has been interesting to visit with other staff about what they think over the last few weeks. The responses give me insight into whether people are excited or upset or worried about learning new technologies.
If we were to do something similiar to this in the future I would probably make it different levels and give people a choice on where they felt comfortable learning. The first level could be really basic, the second advanced and the third for geniuses (haha) probably not called that. The point being that everyone learns in different ways and different paces and there was some stress over the timelines of this adventure. It was difficult to spend very much time on each assignment and that is mainly because of the constant interuption at the public service desks. The major time we could spend on it was on the Sunday morning of the weekends we worked. The podcasts were also tough because you couldn't sit at a public service desk and listen to them.
Overall, I think it was a worthwhile endeavor. I learned a great deal and with the basics under my belt I can expand my knowledge by using some of the tools in my daily work.

No comments: